Saturday, January 10, 2009

A cold hardy cape gooseberry


The big cold greenhouse on the plots has been left with the doors and windows open so that any bugs and nasties get frozen out. Despite this, a self set cape gooseberry (it may be a tommatillo) has survived the weather, despite it going down to -9 at times.
Hopefully, I am some way to getting a frost hardy version in my greenhouse. At present we cut the vines down and cover the stools with compost to protect them. Most are 3 years old now and very productive.

5 comments:

Matron said...

That's fascinating, I didn't know they were hardy. Might try some more this year and find out for myself.

Anonymous said...

If you do have a hardy plant there it could be quite a find.

One of my breeding projects for this coming season is to cross my cape gooseberry with a chines lantern, in hope of developing a hardier cultivar. It may take a few generations to get the flavour back to something more palatable on a hardy plant but I think its worth the effort.

If your seedling does prove to be a hardy cape gooseberry I may well be looking to trade something for some seed. So please keep us informed.

lilymarlene said...

Mine went through the winter in my tunnel too. I will hope to keep it going this year. I cut it back a bit, but would you suggest a good lot off?
And that ham looks wonderful (couldn't comment up there as it won't let me in

Evington Hilltop Adventures said...

Hui Lilly, I cut them right down and cover over with a bit of compost. This little un has just sprouted from fallen seed, despite the cold too.

Will do Jinks.

lilymarlene said...

I'll follow your lead and let you know how it goes! Thanks...