Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Harvest







The raised beds really are weather beaters and having the paths either paved or covered with wood chippings means that harvesting is undertaken without having to change shoes.
The spring onions and carrots sown in late summer are still being harvested, as are leeks, cabbage, brussels sprouts and small amounts of raddish and salad leaves from the tunnel. As the beds are not waterlogged and much warmer than the surrounding soil, I have planted my shallots including Humberstone Banana Shallots for next years seed, hative de niort and golden globe.
Some onion sets (sturon) have also gone in but the bulk will be planted in the next couple of weeks.
A recent addition is a wildlife pond. Some frog and toad spawn will be transfered to it this spring in an attempt to get colonies of frogs and toads established on the plots, thus creating our own organic slug control. I will put some quarry stone about the pond plus a couple of piles of logs as amphibian shelters and an attempt to stop me from falling in it.
See you soon.

2 comments:

Hazel said...

Love the blog, PW - very impressed with the carrots and sp.onions too!

Thanks for the blog link - I'll recipocate when I next update ours!

Nick the grief said...

About time to. Now I know what you look like I can avoid you :D

Love the blog & the polytunnels

ntg