Friday, February 15, 2008

A beast of burden


We are very fortunate in having a ex military "Sankey" trailer to use, carting stuff to the allotments. It really is our beast of burden, albeit, a modern take on one.
Today I collected a load of paving slabs with it. They are being used on plot 2 to make paths between our permanent beds. We use chipped bark between the raised beds which are on top of membrane, but they tend to disapear when used directly onto the ground making slabs a more enduring option. With loads like this the trailer comes into its own. During this set of rest days from work, it has carried over a ton of very well rotted manure, the slabs pictured and a load of fence posts for the new half plot. A worthwhile investment indeed.

2 comments:

Matron said...

How wonderful to have a toy like that! I have to make do with putting the back seat down on my small hatchback!

Mr Toad said...

I covet your trailer!

Fortunately I have a mate with a big boy's pickup - "Tonka".

However, when I'd only loaded a few slabs it's big tough tyres looked alarmingly flat... Oops.

One easy trip turned out to be 4 bloody knackering ones. Ho hum...