Saturday, February 09, 2008

Make hay they say

With the weather again being dry, my nephew came to the plots to rotovate the new half plot. It was cleared, cleaned and ploughed in the autumn and was very much weed free. The rotovator made light work of the soil which is very good indeed, leaving us with a blank canvas.


Once the rotovating was done it was time to make semi permanent bean frames. Ten foot lengths of scafolding were knocked into the ground using a home made post thumper (thanks Malc), a tool that does make it soo much easier, till 7' is left exposed.



A long length is then fitted making a goal shape. Eight foot canes can than be tied in to make a very sturdy frame for peas or beans.


If the bed is needed for other crops then the canes can be left out and the bed used as normal. The framework doesnt really get in the way and the system really gives you lots of flexibility for crop growing.

1 comment:

Kath said...

Quality bit of kit there. I grow climbing beans and have been using individual wigwams as I only have room for a few. IF I get my allotment I shall look at a similar structure. Good pics.