Monday, April 28, 2008

Making space

I dont know about you, but at this time of year, easpecially during a mild spell, there is always a juggling act going on with regard to greenhouse space. Our first lettuce (8 varieties) are now hardened off and planted out with the first little gems having already been pulled and eaten.

The red salad bowl (above) above will soon be ready to have leaves harvested, the devils tongue cut and come again variety has already matured to a size where we can pick leaves.


The last two rows of "Marfona" potato went in late last week. They had chitted nicely and will romp away now they are planted. Whilst they are a second early, we grow them as an early maincrop and they really do make a good all round potoato.

The second tunnel is now planted up with tomatoes and all of the canes are tied in. This year we have Bloody butcher, Shirley, Sungold, French Black,Rio grande and Mountain pride. All have set the flowers on the first truss and hopefully we will be picking the first ripe fruit in Late June.

9 comments:

Lady Jana Muck said...

To get veg so early like Tomatoes etc do you heat you greenhouse. Mine are still little seedlings :(

Kath said...

The toms look good! Do you heat your polytunnel - I daren't plant my toms out just yet - my greenhouse is unheated.

Matron said...

How wonderful to have a polytunnel that large! I look forward to seeing them grow!

Evington Hilltop Adventures said...

The tunnels are not heated, in fact for the last week a door has been left open 24/7 to prevent overheating during the day. Ay temp threatened for less than 5 degrees gets the door shut overnight though.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I am a newbie on the Hill and love cooking. My gooseberries are about ready in a week or two. Do you have any recipies of interest - please keep it real because I have hundreds of cook books - I'm writing my own so love to hear what others have tried and loved. Plots HillTop and TreeTops 103 and 105. Yes that close!!

HayWayne said...

Piglet, I've tagged you (see my blog). No idea what it means, but I'm supposed to let you know anyway.

Those are impressive looking poly's and toms. Good work dude.

Cheers - Wayne

Unknown said...

My husband and I are finally leaving our small city garden and are moving to a 17 acre gardener's dream in the Ozarks of Southern Missouri! I just found your site this week and am looking forward to referencing it often as we start our new adventure!
You mentioned in one of your postings in April that you had some extra peppadew seeds. I would imagine that they went quickly, but I thought I would just send you a quick note to see if you might have any to spare?
Thanks again for publishing your gardening secrets!
Jill

Gary and Jen, and Ruby and Peter said...

Oh how Id love a polytunnel or even a greenhouse - if only i had the cash!
Love the site BTW, mind if i add a link ?

Gary and Jen, and Ruby and Peter said...

Hi David / Karen,
Just been reading your update, always a good read.
I have a link to your blog from mine, would you like to return the favour ?

Regards

Gary @ www.readsallotmentretreat.blogspot.com