Saturday, September 22, 2007

And it keeps on a coming!!!!





Things are getting a bit desperate on the plots. We normally plant our garlic at this time of year in a vacant bed but alas that space isnt there as the beds are still rammed with plants and tasty edibles. On plot two, our polytunnel plot, we have installed two raised beds with two more to come once our parsnips are out. The two beds were planted up immediately, one with garlic and one with "radar" onion sets. There is still a ruck of garlic to plant and we desperately need to get our new half plot rotovated so that we can plant up our 90 odd "aromel" strawberry runners and our new herb bed.

One the harvest front, our peas are now starting to pod up and hopefully we will be picking fresh peas in mid October, in addition the succession sown salad leaves and lettuce just keep on doing us proud. The next sowing of these salads will be planted out into the tunnel to keep the worst of the weather off, how they cope with the low light levels is another matter.

On the root veg side our swede are huge as are the parsnips, this is the first year that both have done so well and I am well chuffed, we also have carrots and celery ready and as a brucey bonus celariac, so, bring on the stew.

A very welcome late crop is our sweetcorn. This is one of our favourite veg and two sowings in early spring fell prey to mice in the greenhouse. The third sowing went out late but has picked up very well and is now ready to harvest as are our "aromel" perpetual strawberries. I cannot praise these enough, 50 plants are giving us 4-5lb of fruit a week, the extra 90 plants will hopefully ramp that up next year to 12-16lb a week, keeping us in jam, fresh fruit and pudings. The fruits are large, juicy and very, very tasty. Please, do try them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi David, what a productive site!

You kindly sent me some Banana Shallot seeds last Autumn and I had a reasonable crop from them (though not as "bumper" as yours!). I've tried collecting seeds myself this time and Chantal's also sent me some.

All the best & maybe see you at Malvern

Colin_M

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I have recently become interested in growing chillis and peppers and have been wanting to grow some piquante peppers. After trawling the internet I came across a post of yours on www.growfruitandveg.co.uk where you were offering some. I don't know if you have any left, but could I ask for a few (pretty please)if you do have some spare?

I've been looking at the blog and finding it quite fascinating too. My mum and I both love to grow yummy things and have in our garden an apricot tree, a bay tree, a wild hazel tree, a grape vine, rosmary, etc. If you can indulge me, might I offer you some wild hazelnuts in return? They are very delicious roasted, and we have more than we could possibly eat in a year.

Thanks for some very interesting reading on your blog anyhow,

Lara
larahelen@hotmail.co.uk